Narrative pedigree of the Skipwith family of St Albans
I. John Skipwith, died c.1478.
He married, firstly, Joan, by whom he had issue:
John married, secondly, Ellen, the daughter of Henry Godfrey, by whom he had issue:
- William, son and heir, of whom below.
- John, died 1501.
John married, firstly, Parnell, and, secondly, Elizabeth [?]Gaynessford, the widow of John Saxby; she died 1516.
John had issue:
- Joan, who married John Rudstone
- Richard, [?]c.1465-1486
John married, thirdly, Katherine, who was living in 1477.
II. William Skipwith, granted arms 1507, died 1509.
He married Joan, daughter of [?]Laurence [?]Baldock; she remarried to William Cressy, and died 1515.
By Joan, William Skipwith had issue:
- George, son and heir, of whom below
- Joan, who married Robert Barley
- Ellen, who married Richard Bull
- Margaret, who married William Andrew
- Elizabeth, who married Thomas Astry
III. George Skipwith, died 1522.
He married, firstly, Mary, daughter of Robert Newport.
He married secondly Alice,
daughter of William Pulter; she remarried to Gregory Warren (who died before 1540).
By Alice, George Skipwith had issue:
- Thomas, son and heir, of whom below
IV. Thomas Skipwith, born 1511, died 1558.
He married, firstly, Joan, daughter of Ralph Rowlett, by whom he had issue:
- William, son and heir, of whom below
- Ralph, born c.1536, died between 1574 and 1577.
He married, 1559, Alice, widow of Thomas Lee and daughter of John Coxe;
she died between 1574 and 1577. By Alice, Ralph had issue:
- Rowlett, died between 1620 and 1623
- Ralph, born c.1572, died before 1609.
He married, c.1602, Edith, widow of Nicholas Dawson, and daughter of Thomas Pert;
she was born c.1571 and died in 1614 or 1615. By Edith, Ralph had issue:
- Ralph, who was living in 1620.
He married [?]a daughter of Thomas Merry, and had issue:
- Ralph, who was living in 1642
- Mary, who was living in 1642
- Goodier, [?]died without issue before 1614
- Bridget, baptised 1607
- Ann (1607-1685), married Ralph Dodwell
- Frances, married Thomas Gardiner and died 1638
- Margery, married, 1591, Thomas Higate
- Elizabeth, married, firstly, 1594, Isaac Rotherham, and, secondly, before 1620, Henry Manwaring;
she was living in 1620
- Edward, died 1600
- Thomas, living 1565
- Richard, died 1592.
He married Elizabeth [?]Smith, who died 1593, and had by her:
- Dowglas, daughter and heir, baptised 1589.
She married, firstly, Henry Sills, secondly, Thomas Pepper, and, thirdly, Thomas [?]Thwaites
- Henry, who married .... Manning, by whom he had issue:
- Thomas, baptised 1576
- Edward, [?]baptised 1580, died without issue
- Bartholomew, baptised 1581
- Mary, baptised 1574, who married Edward Hethersall
- Elizabeth, baptised 1579, who married Richard Gawderne
- Dorothy, baptised 1583, who married Richard Edwards
- Clacy, baptised 1591, who married in 1623 Thomas Browse
- Robert, who was living in 1620
- Dorothy, who married Leonard Perrott
- Alice, who married Henry Duncombe
- Margaret, who married John Cheyne
- [?]Elizabeth, who married Thomas Bill
Thomas married, secondly, Dorothy, widow of John Bridges and of John Maynard,
and daughter of Robert Perrott.
She remarried to Francis Rogers, and was living in 1563.
V. William Skipwith, born around 1530, died c.1595.
He married Frances, daughter of William Nicholson; she was living in 1578.
By Frances he had issue:
- Stephen, son and heir, of whom below
- John, born c.1569, died without issue
- Henry, baptised 1574, living 1640; he married Anne [?]Rosse
- Anthony, bon c.1580, living 1640;
he married Mary, daughter of Anthony [?]Dyllone, by whom he had issue:
- Frances, died without issue
- Margaret, baptised 1564, married Thomas Lyster
- Susan, baptised 1565, died without issue
- Dorothy, baptised 1566, married Richard [?]Haslom
- Sarah, baptised 1569, married William Clifford
- Grissel, baptised 1570
- Winifred, baptised 1575
- Joan, married Henry Birch
- Elizabeth, died without issue
VI. Stephen Skipwith, born c.1565, died 1641.
He married, before 1595, Mary, daughter of Jasper Blythman; she was living in 1644.
By Mary, Stephen had issue:
- Richard, died without issue
- Francis, died without issue
- Mary, died without issue
- Elizabeth, daughter and heir, who married Robert Burdett