Medieval source material on the internet: Modern works: Local history: H
(2) Local history: H
N.B. See also the index of places covered by the Victoria County History -
some articles are available online.
- John Watson, The History and Antiquities of the Parish of Halifax, in Yorkshire. (1775) (Bavarian State Library)
- Haltemprice Priory (East Riding , Yorkshire) (Richard Hayton, Some Yorkshire History) [not available, 17 December 2012; see the Internet Archive's copy of this page, from July 2011]
Illustrated article on the priory's history, including a list of priors.
- Hampshire: See Victoria County History and Older County Histories
- W. H. St John Hope and Harold Brakspear, Haughmond Abbey, Shropshire. (Mel Lockie)
Transcript of an article from the Archaelogical Journal, volume 66 (1909).
- Hawkesbury, Gloucestershire:
- Hawkesbury History (Robert Millard) [not available, 18 August 2013]
Includes a large number of abstracts, many of them medieval, in the Documents Index section; also a brief history, the texts of books on local history, extracts from the Domesday Book and from Bigland's Collections, transcripts of wills and the Military Survey of 1522. Also covers Didmarton, Oldbury on the Hill and Tormarton. (This replaces the website of the Hawkesbury and Hillesley Family History, formerly at http://www.hawkesburyfamilyhistory.co.uk/index.html).
- Hendon, in the county of Middlesex (Kenneth Jacob, My Jacob Family)
Some references from the plea rolls, 13th-15th centuries.
- Herefordshire: See Victoria County History and Older County Histories
Herefordshire Sites and Monuments Record
(Historic Herefordshire On Line)
Searchable database of historic sites and monuments in the county,
including nearly 3000 from the late-medieval period. For each entry
there is an outline description, including notes on tenure, and a list of sources.
On the same site is a variety of information about Herefordshire history - much of it
schools-oriented - including a section on Castles
of Herefordshire, giving an outline history for each
- A. T. Bannister, Herefordshire Placenames (1916) (Mel Lockie)
- Hertfordshire: See Victoria County History and Older County Histories
- R. F. Jessup,
on a Saxon Charter of Higham [Kent] (Kent Archaeological Society)
Text of a paper originally published in Archaeologia Cantiana, vol. 55, pp. 12-15 (1942)
Discussion of the places mentioned in an eigth-century charter
[Lincolnshire] - A Brief History
[formerly at http://www.lincolnshire-web.co.uk/about-horncastle.htm; not available, 13 February 2006; see the Internet Archive's
of this page, from March 2005]
Some notes on the history of Horncastle, mainly pre-conquest. Note that
not all pages are linked from the main page of the site - but they
are available from the drop-down menu entitled "History articles"
- William Smith Porter, Notes from a Peakland Parish [Hope, Derbyshire] (1923). Transcript and TIFF images, with a list of surnames [not available, 14 October 2008; see the Internet Archive's copy of this page] (Rosemary Lockie, GENUKI; David Blackwell, United States Internet Genealogical Society; Philip Longden)
A History of Horton cum Studley [Oxfordshire] (Horton cum Studley)
Extensive draft text including much medieval material
- Huntingdonshire: See Victoria County History and Older County Histories