Medieval source material on the internet: Chancery and other equity suits
For a brief guide to chancery and other equity suits,
For some medieval records in Ancestry's UK and Ireland Collection,
- The Anglo-American Legal Tradition (Robert Palmer, University of Houston Law Center)
A huge project to digitise medieval and early-modern English legal records, and to make the images freely available through the Internet. The site currently contains more than 6 million images of documents, covering records covered from the period 1217-1800. The records include plea rolls, memoranda rolls, pipe rolls, liberate rolls, feet of fines, early chancery proceedings, exchequer accounts, some 13th-century patent rolls, some 16th-century close rolls, fine rolls and state papers, and a number of others. The classes of pre-1603 records covered include C 1, C 33, C 54 [1509-1540], C 60 [1529-1573], C 62, C 66 [1237-1281], C 78, CHES 14, CHES 29, CP 21, CP 25 [to 1509], CP 40, DL 5, E 9, E 13, E 101, E 123, E 124, E 126, E 159, E 361, E 364, E 368, E 372, JUST 1, JUST 2 [to 1483], JUST 3 [to 1483], KB 9 [to 1560], KB 21, KB 26, KB 27, KB 29, LR 1, REQ 1 and SP 12 [to 1580]. In addition to reference material, the site includes a wiki section with abstracts of some records, and some indexes compiled by volunteers.
- Miscellaneous Chancery Records enrolled at Common Law (WAALT: the Wiki for the Anglo-American Legal Tradition Website)
List of stray documents from chancery enrolled in common law records, with links to images of original documents. In progress; currently covering 1342-1590 (few entries so far).
- Chancery Final Decrees [1534-1880] (The Anglo-American Legal Tradition)
Chronological lists of covering C78 and C79, including personal and place names, with links to images of original documents.
- Inheritance Dispute Index 1574-1714
Index compiled by Peter Coldham, searchable on a pay-per-view basis, to over 26,000 Chancery suits
relating to inheritance of money or real estate.
- Indexes to C 33 (Chancery entry books) of the reign of James I. (The Anglo-American Legal Tradition)
Transcripts of contemporary indexes; in progress.
- Equity Pleadings Database
(The National Archives)
A searchable database covering over 30,000 records from series C 6 ("Court of Chancery, Six Clerks Office: Pleadings before
1714, Collins"), mainly come from dates between 1648 and 1722, was previously available.
A search form allowed queries for names, places, subjects, case details or a combination of these.
For some unknown reason this has now been withdrawn.
Instead, the National Archives catalogue
can be searched for items in C 6, but only general keywords and phrases can be used.
- Court of Requests:
- List of Proceedings in the Court of Requests, preserved in the Public Record Office. Volume 1. (originally published 1906; reprinted with amendments, 1963) (Internet Archive - Text Archive)
Lists and Indexes, number 21. Records in REQ 2, covering 1485-1558, with some Elizabethan proceedings. Because of its format, the default online version is not searchable, but the "full text" version is.
- I. S. Leadam, ed., Select cases in the court of requests, A.D. 1497-1569 (1898) (Google Books [Hints and tips])
Selden Society, volume 12. English transcripts, with an introduction including a list of judges.
[Other copies at: Internet Archive - Text Archive: 1 ; 2 .]
- Court of Requests: Book of Orders, Final Orders, Decrees, Memoranda (Michaelmas 36/37 Eliz I - Hilary 38 Eliz I) (Dave King, The Anglo-American Legal Tradition)
List of entries from REQ 1/18, containing orders, decrees and memoranda of the Court of Requests, October 1594-March 1596, giving names and some details of suits with links to images of original documents.
- Modern indexes to REQ 1 (registers of the Court of Requests) of the reign of Charles I. (The Anglo-American Legal Tradition)
Lists of parties, sorted by first plaintiff, first defendant and date; in progress.
- Star Chamber:
- Court of Wards: