Medieval source material on the internet: Chancery and other equity suits
For a brief guide to chancery and other equity suits,
For some medieval records in Ancestry's UK and Ireland Collection,
- The Anglo-American Legal Tradition (Robert Palmer, University of Houston Law Center)
A huge project to digitise medieval and early-modern English legal records, and to make the images freely available through the Internet. The site currently contains more than 6 million images of documents, covering records covered from the period 1217-1800. The records include plea rolls, memoranda rolls, pipe rolls, liberate rolls, feet of fines, early chancery proceedings, some 13th-century patent rolls, some 16th-century close rolls and fine rolls, and a number of others. The classes of pre-1603 records covered include C 1, C 33, C 54 [1509-1540], C 60 [1529-1573], C 62, C 66 [1237-1281], CHES 14, CP 21, CP 25 [to 1509], CP 40, DL 5, E 13, E 101, E 123, E 124, E 126, E 159, E 364, E 368, E 372, JUST 1, JUST 2 [to 1483], JUST 3 [to 1483], KB 9 [to 1483], KB 26, KB 27, KB 29 and REQ 1. In addition to reference material, the site includes a wiki section with abstracts of some records, and some indexes compiled by volunteers.
- Modern indexes to REQ 1 (registers of the Court of Requests) of the reign of Charles I. (The Anglo-American Legal Tradition)
Lists of parties, sorted by first plaintiff, first defendant and date; in progress.
- Indexes to C 33 (Chancery entry books) of the reign of James I. (The Anglo-American Legal Tradition)
Transcripts of contemporary indexes; in progress.
- Equity Pleadings Database
(Public Record Office)
Searchable database in progress, currently covering over 30,000 records
from series C6 ("Court of Chancery, Six Clerks Office: Pleadings before
1714, Collins"), which mainly come from dates between 1648 and 1722.
The search form
allows queries for names, places, subjects,
case details or a combination of these
- Inheritance Dispute Index 1574-1714
Index compiled by Peter Coldham, searchable on a pay-per-view basis, to over 26,000 Chancery suits
relating to inheritance of money or real estate.
- I. S. Leadam, ed., Select cases in the court of requests, A.D. 1497-1569 (1898) (Google Books [Hints and tips])
Selden Society, volume 12. English transcripts, with an introduction including a list of judges.
[Other copies at: Internet Archive - Text Archive: 1 ; 2 .]
- Elizabethan Star Chamber Project (WAALT: the Wiki for the Anglo-American Legal Tradition Website)
Listing of cases, in progress, from STAC 5. Unlike the National Archives catalogue, the list includes forenames. This continues the work begun by the University of Hull State Papers Project.